Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring time chores



(Our garden from last year)

Spring is just around the corner, but winter has yet to let go, what is a gardener to do?  Well, to put it bluntly, the boring stuff.  This is the time of year to get the stuff done that will make planting and maintaning your garden easier and much less stressfull.  Here is my springtime todo list:

  1. Put the planting schedule on the calander. This one can be done anytime after the previous season ends but if your like me it goes on the springtime list. I find that using a calander(the cheapest one I can find) is the easiest way to keep all the information organized.
  2. Start seeds indoors as necessary.  This is already underway but keep in mind it is easy to get behind schedule on plantings especially when you start planting before you make your planting schedule like me. 
  3. Take inventory on all garden tools and supplies.  Suprisingly enough you will loose tools, example my garden spade is gone.  Knowing this now means I can buy a new one before I need it and have to spend preciouse planting time at the hardware store. 
  4. Make repairs and plan out expansion.  We had lot of snow this winter and it caused some minor damage to my fences.  I am also expanding the gardens again so  I need to buy any necessary tools or supplies in advance.

  5. Clean the garage and Screened porch.  These two spaces are my indoor areas that directly effect the garden so they need to be organized (again) for the upcoming season.
The more the I do this the more I realize that organization and planning are the best ways to save time.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment