Saturday, December 19, 2009



Well we just got our first seed catalog in the mail! Baker Creek Heirloom seeds catalog is by far the most interesting. If you like to grow unusual heirloom plants this is the catalog for you! Also a lot of these plants are endangered so you are doing some good at the same time. I just got finished making some laundry soap. This small thing has been a surprisingly big step for us in becoming more self-sufficient. It costs around 90 cents to do 30-40 loads! I can't imagine all the packaging waste this eliminates which is a huge plus. There are many different "recipes" for this soap online. The first I did was a liquid recipe. It was MUCH more difficult than what I do now but I guess if you really like the liquid kind you could do it. The ingredients are Fels Naptha, Borax, and Washing Soda...all of which I get in the laundry aisle at Kroger's (Wal Mart does not have it...you can buy it online if you can't find it anywhere else). I do 1 cup Borax and Washing Soda with 1/2 bar-1 bar of Fels Naptha. I really just grate as much Fels Naptha as I can. It is kind of a work out. I then put it in a container and shake it up. We clothe diaper so this saves us a HUGE amount of money over a year. I wear glvoes when I do this since Borax is a little harsh.
(The Fels Naptha is not in the picture but is is just a bar of soap...like I said you can probably find it in the laundry aisle or online)






1 comment: