Sunday, February 28, 2010

Make an apron from a bed ruffle

So my favorite sewing projects consist of a couple things.  Sewing with something that is re-purposed, and something that takes less than 30 minutes.  I found a cute bed ruffle at the thrift store when I was pregnant with the baby and was going to make curtains out of them but I made some out of pillow cases instead (I will post on that project later...they turned out pretty cute!).  Well the nice thing about bed ruffles are they are already "ruffled" which I don't know how to do and am slightly scared to do anyways.  I love to cook and wanted to make an apron for my daughter for when she gets older.  I posted direcitons on how to do this but I will preface this by saying I am not an expert at sewing!  I am not sure how easy to follow this will be so if you have any questions just comment and I will try and answer them :)


Isn't it cute!  It turned out a bit bigger then I wanted but I still have almost the whole bed ruffle left.  I could probably make her aprons in enough sized to last her her whole life.


I used this little girl's apron I found at the thrift store as a template (I got this for .75!!).  As you can see I just laid it flat on the ruffle and then marked each side of the apron.



You can't see the mark to well but you probably get the idea.




Not the best picture but what I did here was I measured the ribbon I wanted to use to tie in the back.  This was 1 1/2 inches so I measured 3 1/2 from the top of the ruffle.  I also measured a half inch from the first mark I made.  I did this on the other side as well.  I made marks along the top of the 3 1/2 inch mark so I could cut straight.  Then I cut up the sides. 



Fold over, iron, and hem.



Do the same to the top.



Lay the ribbon down...



fold over the fabic...


and sew from the stop of the ribbon's side to the top of the ruffle as shown above.  If you want to be sure you get the ribbon in there you can pin it.  I prefer to do things the lazy way!  Hehe...  You can then sew the top of the top hem along the top of the ruffle to make sure this stays closed.  I did not.  Once again...I like the lazy way!



And here it is again!  Next I want to try a skirt and then maybe a dress.  Oh the possibilities!  I hope I didn't make these instructions over complicated...please let me know if you have questions!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment at dollar store crafts! Nice to meet you! I love this idea - I bet you could use bed ruffles for lots of simple sewing projects. Also, I love your tomato header!

    ReplyDelete